Today’s college students use many electronics for school, work, and play. When used improperly, these gadgets can become electric hazards. If you or a loved one is heading off to college, Central has the following tips to prevent electric accidents and fires:
- Extension cords are only for temporary use. Dorm rooms may not have enough outlets to plug in all your gadgets at once. If you must use extension cords, use them temporarily and unplug them when not in use.
- Consider purchasing power strips with an over-current protector, which will shut off power automatically if there is too much current being drawn.
- Use light bulbs with the correct wattage for lamps; if no indication is on the fixture, do not use a bulb with more than 60 watts.
- Never tack or nail an electrical cord to any surface or run cords across traffic paths, under rugs or furniture.
- Keep all electrical appliances and cords safely away from bedding, curtains, and other flammable material.
- Discard or repair damaged electronics. It may be tempting to use an electronic with a frayed cord or damaged plug-in to save money. However, damaged electronics can shock or electrocute students.