This weekend's weather forecast is predicting below zero temperatures, even lower wind chills and the potential for multiple inches of snow! Central Rural Electric Cooperative encourages members to make an action plan now to keep your family safe, and stay weather aware over the next few days.
What You Can Do:
- Put together an emergency kit including items such as a radio, flashlight, batteries, blankets, heavy coats, water, non-perishable food, can opener and a first aid kit.
- Close doors to unused rooms
- Use rolled towels to close drafts under doors and windows.
- Keep faucets dripping to prevent water pipes from freezing and know how to shut off water if a pipe bursts.
- Call and check up on neighbors and family members.
- Bring pets inside, make sure livestock have sheltered areas and access to drinking water
- Download the SmartHub app for Apple or Android to report outages ASAP. You may also call 405-372-2884 or login to SmartHub from your computer.
How Cold Weather Affects the Electric System:
- Conductors begin to contract, causing power lines to become extremely tight.
- Ice can build up on power lines. This, coupled with strong winds, increases the force on lines, which can cause lines to break or touch each other. This results in a power outage.
What We're Doing:
- To expedite power restoration times, linemen are being assigned smaller areas which will reduce drive times.
- Employees are on call and available to respond 24/7.
- Contract crews have been contacted and are prepared to assist if needed.
- We're keeping members informed via our social media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
- We're watching the weather and staying weather aware!