Severe weather happens year-round in Oklahoma and can lead to seriously damaged power lines. What should you do if you see a downed power line and how do you ensure your family’s safety?
- Let Central know! Report the fallen power line by calling 405-372-2884.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Active lines can be hidden in fallen tree limbs and water puddles, or could be touching fencing.
- Avoid touching the power line even if you think it is dead. The line can be energized during power restoration or if someone is using a generator.
- Do not connect your generator to a pole with a downed line.
- Never drive over a fallen power line. It could cause poles or other equipment to crash on top of your vehicle.
- If your vehicle comes in contact with a downed line, stay in your vehicle, warn others to stay away and contact 9-1-1.
- If you must leave your vehicle, jump away from the vehicle and shuffle your feet to safety.